DailyOJ 12-10-11: Part 2, Female Orgasm Statistics

December 10, 2011

The myths about female orgasm, particularly female multiple orgasms, have been perpetuated in modern culture with the rise of easily accessible porn. Separating the real O’s from the fake is not an easy task. What we need is more honest conversation about orgasm, how we reach it, why we want, and what we want out of it.

I saw the following on the “I Love Female Orgasm” website and just had to share.  (Wonder if they’ll let me have a speaking gig?  Hmmm…)

Some stats:

  • Average length of time it takes a woman to have an
    orgasm: 20 minutes.
    Average length of time it takes a man: 2-5 minutes.
  • Half of girls have had an orgasm by the time they’re 16 years old.
  • 44% of men say their female partners always have orgasms when they have sex.  Whereas, 22% of women say they always have orgasms when they have sex.  (Note: Can we say “contradiction”?!)
  • About 1% of women are able to achieve orgasm solely through breast
  • 63% of college women say they’ve had multiple orgasms.

I do think younger women have more information about female anatomy and sex positions than their mothers did, so I’m not surprised to see so many college women have had multiple orgasms.  And considering most of them grew up post-Clinton sex scandal, they grew up hearing the words “oral sex” on the evening news.  But the statistic doesn’t say during partnered sex.  Even as late as 2002, studies report 75% of women have never orgasmed during partnered sex — I am one of those.

I also find it interesting to note the disparity between what men report of their partners’ orgasms and what the women report.  Either the women are faking orgasms, then lying about having one, or the men are too clueless to tell a real orgasm from a When-Harry-Met-Sally spectacle.  If only 44% of men say their partner has orgasmed during sex, then 56% of men either don’t know how to bring their female partner to orgasm or they’ve watched too much porn and don’t know a real orgasm when they see it.  But don’t worry, guys.  That’s why I’m here.

For the 1% of women who orgasm through breast stimulation alone, YAY! I’m finally in the 1% — in the rest of my life, I’m still in the 99% (yes, that’s an Occupy Wall Street reference).

I just thought this info was apropos to the discussions we’ve been having of late.

Aroused and counting,

For more of my personal orgasm journey, read Trish’s Daily O.J.
Visit the AW site: Aroused Woman